[pianotech] RPT exam?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Dec 23 05:01:54 PST 2008

> If that's the case, then that's the part that I have trouble hearing. (I
> even attended an aural tuning class at a convention with Jim Coleman - and -
> just could not hear half of what he was trying to show me)
>
> With that said, then I'll never be able to pass the test - even - with the
> aid of the ETD.
>
> Duaine

I'm not Jim Coleman, Sr, but I did room with him in Providence... ;-}
I haven't attended his classes, so I don't know what "tricks" he has
to help you hear beats.

The one I find most helpful, to folks I've helped (and me, too) is
what I call "identifying the target".  Pick an interval, any interval,
 let's say M3.  F3-A3 has it's lowest coincident harmonic at A5. Check
this out by building a harmonic series from each note and you find
that A5 is the first shared note. (I know you know this, but someone
else reading this might not.)

A5 is the target where you need to listen.
-Play A5 by itself.
-Stop.
-Play F3/A3 M3.
Your ear is still listening to the last pitch it heard and, if there
is a beat present, you should be now able to hear it at A5.

It may be wildly fast or even dead on a piano which has slumbered for
a long while, so try this test first on a well tuned piano.

It may be quite faint, which is why folks are suggesting an audiogram
to ascertain any hearing difficulties.

Yes, there is more than one RPT out there using a hearing aid. It is a
tool just like any other which can help you do your job.  Having the
right tools always helps.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT
Luther College