[pianotech] RPT exam?

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 23 05:44:43 PST 2008

Hmmmm,

I dunno.  I've always used beats and don't know of another "method."  Maybe some Virgil acolytes can suggest something?

An upright player would probably work reasonably well for hearing what you need to hear in tuning.  I'm assuming 48" or larger?  If so, it should work fine.  I learned on a Yamaha M430 (44" console).  Not too bad.

Otherwise, as someone else suggested, the beat locator cards by Jim Coleman and Randy Potter's tuning video is a good learning tool (if a bit verbose).

I think it's safe to say that I've put in at least a few hundred hours of direct aural tuning study (simply practicing), and many thousands of hours indirectly (while tuning others instruments) - which continues daily.

William R. Monroe

  Basically, not many. When I took that class with Jim Coleman, it was on a baby grand. He expressed that it is easier the bigger the piano, ie, full size grand.

  I own an - upright - player piano. And, I have no regular access to any grand - baby or otherwise.

  Since I am a singer, barbershop, a capella, I understand the intervals - to the extent that it's - seconds, thirds, fourths, etc. and don't listen for beats.

  Is there a way to translate "beats" into "intervals". Meaning, so if I need to check a fourth, how to I do that without worrying about beats.

  Duaine

  William Monroe wrote:
    Part 1 is setting A4=440, then temperament and midrange (C3-B4), aurally.

    How many hours have you practiced aural tuning, Duaine?

    William R. Monroe