[pianotech] re missing piano

William Reichert pianotuner5293 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 23 09:18:35 PST 2008

I once had a player I was rebuilding disappear from the shipper's warehouse when I went to install the restored player mechanism.  When I asked the manager where it was, she said it should be somewhere around Phoenix!  I am in St. Louis.
It turns out they had a shipment going to the west coast and loaded the piano without checking.  So the piano traveled 5,000 miles from the time I pulled the player mechanism out and reinstalled it.  A year later, the owner moved back to St. Louis.  So the piano traveled 10,000 miles in one year.

Another interesting story is when a long distance piano mover delivered a piano and I overheard a conversation with his next stop.  He was persuading someone in KC Mo. to stay at the store till 10 pm to wait for him to get there.  Yes, he had a helper, no help needed.  He didn't mention that the helper was his wife 8 months pregnant.