[pianotech] but will it split

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 23 10:08:45 PST 2008

Gene Nelson wrote:
> Hello list,
> I am curious if anyone has ever installed damper lift lever capstans
> into a Renner back action replacement tray?
> As the tray grains are verticle with many glue joints (must be pin block
> material) I am a bit hesitant to try this.
> An end piece of a previous installation split quite easily but it was
> being pounded on lightly.
> Gene

Yes, with no problems so far. I use a 10-24 hex head screw
with the head turned down to about 2mm thick. Pilot hole just
under the thread diameter (it's a low load application, so
there doesn't have to be much thread biting wood), and turn
them in with  a drill and magnetic socket.

I haven't apparently taken photos of a laminated tray done
this way, but here's what a retrofit on an original poplar
tray looks like.

Ron N