[pianotech] but will it split

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 23 11:00:29 PST 2008

> I had purchased a capstan set from Piano Forte - they are a bit smaller
> than the 10-24 and ever so slightly tapered with the coarse wood screw
> thread.
> Do you think these would work as well as the machine screws?

I don't know. What do they look like? I finally went with
these screws because of the head thickness. They can be
screwed down to just over a 2mm height and still be adjusted,
so the only parts modifications I had to make were sawing a
rabbet to recess the heads, and felting the underside of the
levers.

>I suppose
> that I could drill my pilot holes with a tapered bit?

??? I'd try drilling a size the tip would just slip into, and
let the taper bite threads as I screwed it in.

> If you don't mind I will use your 10-24 idea for future projects. Great
> idea and thanks so much for sharing.
> Gene

Sure. And if there's a better way, I'd sure love to see it.
Ron N