[pianotech] Dampp-Chaser Brochure response

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Dec 25 08:10:09 PST 2008

Matthew -
You can make general assumptions by observing the outdoor statistics
and your own indoor data.  You can then extend that  information
based upon the ways that your client's environment differs, or is
similar to your own.  In the Northeast, for example, the outside air
can get very dry at this time of year.  Depending upon what type of
heating arrangement client has - fireplace, furnace with (working)
humidifier, over-pumping radiators, a plethora of plants - indoor
readings will vary.  To start, you need to be able to be confident in
the data you are collecting, thus Jurgen's recommendation to use more
than one hygrometer...which touches on an earlier thread on CAUT ("A
record low humidity reading for me").  While there is no appreciable
difference between 38% and 46% with regard to your client's piano,
you want to have the most accurate data you can afford.  The accuracy
and consistency of many of the consumer level gauges is not
dependable.  For your own use, you should have a tool in whose
information you can be highly confident (+/- 2%, resolution to
0.1%)  Then you can compare the readings you get from the cheaper
units.  Sometimes they may be right-on, sometimes not close.  I hope
to learn enough about the way(s)  these gauges work to be able to
understand the reasons for varying tolerances.

>   My thing is, I really don't want to get the humidifier as it has
> some maintenance that goes along with it.

As far as shying away from humidifier maintenance, let's see.  Is it
that you don't think your clients will be willing to fill a watering
can every so often?  Changing pads?  It's true, I wouldn't want to
get down underneath there wearing a suit, and if I have to take a
tank down for cleaning, it can be a bit of a pain, but I would hope
that if the need for that part of the system was clearly indicated,
you wouldn't hesitate...just bring your mask and snorkel.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY