[pianotech] Bridge Pin Drilling Angle

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Dec 26 07:18:42 PST 2008

Paul,
Since, in a parallel thread/ universe, I felt
compelled to reserve my fundamental right to
speculate, the very nature of which is defined by
the absence of proof, I will gingerly exercise
that freedom here.  I feel the need to state this
for two reasons, the first, being, as referenced,
the (somewhat) concurrent thread "will it
split".  The other is that this discussion of
bridge pin angles easily converges upon a broader
area of discussion which, I believe, first began
to get me in trouble with some list elders,
though, having turned 60, I'm pretty old
myself.  I'm referring to the concepts of clamping and termination.

First, termination.  Everything said, thus far,
would seem to make sense: vectors, neighboring
pin interference (maybe not), optimal bridge
mass, or "not much difference".  All of this
would seem to presume that the execution is
accurate and consistent enough to ensure that, no
matter what the angles (stagger and offset),
string contact with notch and pin are
simultaneous.  If this assumption is incorrect,
I'd like your view.  If the potential lack of
such simultaneity is of no concern, either
structurally (notch-edge crushing) or tonally
(initial contact being with either wood or metal,
and either horizontal or semi vertical plane),
then this first area of speculation has no
bearing upon your question regarding
angles.  Otherwise, I would suggest that the
offset angle (towards the notch) could, in actual
execution, be more likely to produce a
"pin-first" termination, which may, in fact, be
what you want.  I mention it mainly because it hasn't been, up to now.

Second issue is the concept of clamping, and
specifically, 'efficient' clamping.  What does
this mean?  What is the conceptual
model?  Assuming ideal downbearing (positive and
not excessive on front and rear), what does
clamping do? Is it a function of the energy
transmission?  Is it a safety factor to address
climatic variations?  What happens outside the
consensus range?  Not intending, in any way, to
provoke or to otherwise hijack this thread, I'm reminded of Wapin.

So what matters? how much? and why?   Not really
looking for answers, just seeing how many calories I can burn speculatin.

Best wishes

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY