[pianotech] Bridge Pin Drilling Angle

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 18:19:11 PST 2008

> Bisecting the angle made as the string goes around the
> pin will  lean the pin inward, not outward.
>
> Ron  N

Having said what I did about bisecting the angle, I realized that in the highest treble, that would indeed result in the pin angling inward, but only in the range where the speaking lengths of the strings were perpendicular to the strike line.  However, in the tenor, the range I was visualizing, the pins would be angled outward.

Paul's question to me was why I would use a compound angle.  I forgot the most important part of my response.  Simply because I had observed that some pianos were built this way, I wanted to test the idea, and judge whether it had merit.  Before Paul asked the question I had already stated that I could see no merit to it.  Maybe there is something I am overlooking, but for now, I have better things to do than to speculate as to what the reasons might have been for doing something that seems to have no merit so far as I can tell.

Frank Emerson