[pianotech] Bridge Pin Drilling Angle

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat Dec 27 08:35:12 PST 2008

Just finished drilling the second bridge i've made in as many weeks, and
have to agree. Thought experiments aside:-) --I have to actually see the darned
thing, and yes, Ron, that's correct.

In a message dated 12/27/2008 10:01:45 A.M. Central Standard Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

pianoguru at cox.net wrote:
>> Bisecting the angle made as the  string goes around the
>> pin will  lean the pin inward, not  outward.
>>
>> Ron  N
>
> Having said  what I did about bisecting the angle, I
> realized that in the highest  treble, that would indeed
> result in the pin angling inward, but only  in the range
> where the speaking lengths of the strings were
>  perpendicular to the strike line.  However, in the tenor,
> the  range I was visualizing, the pins would be angled
>  outward.

They'd be angled inward relative to the notch wherever in the
scale or relationship with the strike line, with no tonal
penalty or  benefit that I've been able to detect either.
Relative to the bridge body,  they would most certainly be
angled out in the tenor.

Ron  N

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.