[pianotech] (no subject)

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Dec 27 19:16:44 PST 2008

Hi Gordon:

The upper dampers are called overdampers.  Because of the string length in
the lower tenor and the larger amount of energy these strings produce,
accompanied by the necessarily shorter length of the damper due to the bass
strings crossing over the tenor strings in this area, damping is not very
efficient in this area.  Thus Steinway, and some other manufacturers, added
the overdampers to assist damping the wire.

It works, but is not the best way to address the problem.  Older upright
pianos, even Steinways classically had damper systems where in at least the
bass and tenor area of the piano, the dampers were simply too small to do
the job well. If you are replacing these old dampers, you have an
opportunity to improve them by using longer dampers.  You can either make
them or order them from suppliers like Pianoforte Supply.

Usually I can change the design so that I eliminate all but the lowest 1
(sometimes 2) overdamper.  This I do by using a split trichord and flat
piece that is as long as possible without interfering with the bass strings.
Typically I can get full length dampers after the first two.  Those two I
make with a trichord at the bottom, and a flat as part of the overdamper.  A
properly redesigned damper system like this will be dramatically better than
the original and is well worth doing.

Will Truitt