[pianotech] Satisfied but persistent customer question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 28 10:28:03 PST 2008

Isaac Sadigursky wrote:
> Hi,Jon!
> Regarding UNTIDY coils,here is another view.....On your next Bass string
> replacement job,install both bi-chords,make the tidiest coil,seat hitch
> pin on one string and do a sloppy installation on other and wait and see
> which one will stabilize best and faster.

That's setup, not long term stability, and that's why we
settle coils as much as we can after stringing. A few years
later, those strings (sloppy and neat coils) will be
comparable in stability.

>..I still believe that
> tidy,neatly seated coils contribute a lot to tuning
> stability.

I don't believe it, just because I haven't seen anything to
indicate that's the case. I've tuned many a really nasty
looking string job that didn't have any unusual stability
problems that I could identify.

>..Regarding Geoff's Kawai problem,I think there are a few more
> questions to be raised.and answered.

So raise 'em. What questions?
Ron N