[pianotech] plate lags, (was persistent customer)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 08:44:11 PST 2008

In a message dated 12/29/08 10:30:58 AM, rnossaman at cox.net writes:
> > Ron, next time you fine tune a piano snug up the "plate lags" as you call
> > them after you are done--and then tell me it doesn't affect stability.
>
> And if you leave them the heck alone, it doesn't, which is the
> point.

Greetings,
    It is worth noting here that the plate bolts on most pianos will be loose
in the winter/dry period.   If you continually tighten them, they will
continue to crush wood fibers during the next humid season, and the following
winter, they will be loose again.   So, if you tighten them, continually, every
winter, it will only be a matter of time before you go a full 360 degrees,
effectively stripping the threads in the wood.   They should only be tightened in the
summer, or, if your first visit is in the winter, give them a light snug,
but don't really torque them in.
   this doesn't apply to the Baldwin style, since they are anchored , via
metal threads, against the iron of the plate.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail,
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&
icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)