[pianotech] Verdigris in Action Centers

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 14:07:54 PST 2008

David,

4 possible solutions:

1. Wash and lube. Quickest. Apply Dry-cleaning solution (VMP Naphtha)
followed by some form of lubricant. Temporary.

2. Wash and repin. More work. Disassemble parts, wash the wood and bushings
with Naphtha, blow them out with low-pressure compressed air, burnish / ream
with broaches, repin.  Longer lasting, but still temporary.

3. Evaporate, wash, and repin. Some have had success with parts only
containing the original waxy goop (which is likely very rare by now - most
have been lubricated with something over the years to try to free them up).
You can try "Zapping" them in place, as with the original Francis Mehaffy
zapper, then lubing the parts.  Or disassemble them, zap the bushings
separately, then dry-clean and repin. Still temporary, in my experience,
although some proponents claim it is permanent.  I think permanence in this
case might equal "I never heard back from them."  Anybody have a zapper they
want to send to David to try??

4. Replace the parts (of course). Expensive but permanent.

Recommendation: Inform the piano owner that anything short of replacing the
parts will most likely be temporary, and write it on your receipt.  Have
them sign a copy, and keep it in your files.  I have had customers sell
pianos I did temporary jobs on, and tell the buyer that it was completely
rebuilt and warranted by me!

Don Mannino