[pianotech] VS Profelt, was Verdigris in Action Centers

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 19:52:37 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Speaking of VSP.   I just treated 9 Yamahas...C5, 3 C2's, 2 U1's and 2
> P22...I was under impressed...a little less wiggle...I soaked the entire
> cloth and used Spurlocks cauls, no heat.   Left over night...if anyone can
> explain where I went wrong...please do...one thought...the Yamaha keys are
> pretty firm and maybe the wood swelled less than say a Steinway?   These
> were not badly worn bushings.   Slight ovaling of keybushing...black mark
> where the keypins rubbed.

I would have stopped and analyzed something before doing all nine and
expecting different results. :-)  But anyway....

I've done three key sets so far.  One Baldwin 243, one Yamaha G3 grand, and
one Diapason grand.  On each there was a noticeable difference.  Not quite
like-new, but still quite good.  These were done in the last six months, and
I've not had a chance to followup to determine long-term results.
 Short-term was good.

All I did was soak the bushings really well and put Spurlock cauls in.
 Three or so "passes" with the stuff.  One drop to allow it to begin soaking
in, the second drop wicked in a bit more, then the third pass was the real
soaker.  I can't say just how much on the third pass, but maybe 3-5 normal
drops. ???  Since there are no instructions, my guess was that it just
needed to be thoroughly soaked, but not dripping or anything like that.
 Wish I could help, but all I can do is share my experience thus far.

Some of the guys in our chapter were talking about how it might be fabric
softener.  They had tried that on bushings before with some success.  Anyone
have a clue what's in VS Profelt?  Can't be much, since it's relatively
cheap.  (But still probably vastly overpriced if the contents were known.)

--
JF