[pianotech] Sustain

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Dec 31 04:32:52 PST 2008

Ron N wrote:

>The impression, even though the total duration was similar, was that the sustain was short.  --- big snip ---

That's been my understanding too that it is the _impression_ that the sustain is longer rather than there being any energy conservation done by the voicing.  Sustain - as I understand it - is simply a matter of conserving the energy put into the system.  Voicing is a matter of optimizing the sound of what's there giving the _impression_ of longer sustain.

Right??

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu