[pianotech] Sustain

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 05:27:40 PST 2008

Speaking of sustain. I recently purchased from an estate an old 6' Bluthner
which had a new board installed some years ago.  I used to tune it about
twenty years ago and handed the customer off to another tuner.

I recall the piano was lackluster.  While the piano is on its side, I clean
the bottom and beams. Of course the usual painting of the bottom black,
looks impressive. A rag was tight getting by a few ribs and reached
an impasse on one which is 9" from the end of the low tenor bridge,
directly under the bridge. (where the 2nd beam and 3rd rib intersect)

I ran a saw blade between the beam and rib to alleviate the binding.
What a difference in ring time when the board is tapped. From tank
to tremendous. I'm looking forward to getting this set up later today.
--

Regards,

Jon Page