[pianotech] Saturdays

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 14:06:43 PST 2008

When I was young, new to the business, and single, I worked on Saturdays at the same rate as weekdays.  I had many customers who said it was not possible to be there during the week.  After getting established, married, and two boys, I charge an additional 25% for Saturday appointments.  My boys are in grade school and I love to watch them play sports on Saturdays.  Now it's basketball, recently soccer, and before that baseball.  (Don't worry, they are in band and orchestra too.)  Anyway, the big surprise to me was how many clients found a way for me to work during the week when presented with a minor increase in fees.  Some still can only do Saturdays and don't mind the fee.  Sometimes when I mention that I will miss or be late for my kid's game, that motivates my client to find a weekday time more than the fee.  If you rationalize the fee to them in terms of "other workers get time and a half for Saturdays" it is not accepted as well as family reasons.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter