Weber upright from 1884.

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 1 12:14:26 MST 2008

Martin,

If there are no structural issues with this piano, I would not
hesitate to raise it to A=440 after restringing. Weber was a
high-quality piano manufacturer at this time (for a short while they
even competed with Steinway and the others for the concert stage) and
there is ample evidence that in the late 19th century in the US
pitches quite a bit higher than 440 - as high as 447 - were in use
(as were lower pitches ca. 435), so pianos had to have been built to
withstand those tensions.

Happy new year,

Israel Stein