seeking clarity, was relevance of bridge pin spacing

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Tue Jan 1 12:53:03 MST 2008

Not quite sure how to ask this question:

As Frank and Ron will position front bridge pins to conform to their scale
design, then vary the rear pin positions as required to avoid pin
interference in the bridge core and use spread sheet to accomplish this,
this leaves me a bit confused while trying to make sense of what I am doing.
Not confused about the math.
If I change the front to rear bridge pin spacing using my jig/patterns (I
can design them to maintain consistent string offset) and strive to position
the front pins for the same scaling reasons, is this not the same thing? In
my case both front and rear pin positions would be shifted from their
position on the original bridge.  Maybe in Frank and Ron's case the hitch
pins have not been positioned yet? Am I missing something?

Regarding scaling I use PScale. When I plug in my ideal scale with 53mm at
note 88 the tension is flagged as high (above 66% brake point) for the top 3
or 4 notes using .032 wire. This piano had no evidence of broken strings
(originals were old and rusted - probably original). It should be safe to
stick with this scheme? Going to a larger wire size does not appear to help
nor do I think it would be a good idea. When Ron refers to "smaller radiused
hardened bars" he is refering to capo and a pressure or bearing bar above
it?

Gene