workshop setup

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Tue Jan 1 23:11:02 MST 2008

Hi Gerald,
What fun! It doesn't look like you've got much of a response. Here's my 5 cents. I've been working out of 550sf shops for 30 years, I don't think they are big enough. 2 or 300 sf is taken up by work benches and tools around the perimeter so not much is left for pianos, I'd kill for 1200 sf.
Right now I have two 550 sf buildings side by side.
My ideal shop would be 1200 to 1500 sf with additional storage for done pianos and case parts, if your doing refinishing then you need another shop as well. I want full wood working, that means table saw, band saw, 6" belt/12" disk sander, thickness sander, planer, jointer, router table. drill press, wood working bench with all the vises, grinder, sharpening center. Did I leave anything out, probably. All this augmented by a compressor and cyclone dust collector outside the shop and plumbed in. Then, all the hand power tools, hand wood working like chisels and hand planes. Oh yea, it's a piano shop, add all your piano tools in roll away type drawers.
I'm sure I left out a few million dollars worth of stuff. Have fun, send pictures.
Fenton
Plumbed dust collection and air is a must.