seeking clarity, was relevance of bridge pin spacing

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 2 22:10:58 MST 2008

Hi Gene

Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying now.  You use the
sideways spaceing to fudge the placement of the bridge pin sets upwards
(or downwards) on the long bridge to facilitate your spec'd speaking
length. Then you adjust front / back pin distance as needed to avoid any
interference between neighboring sets.. yes?  This is why you raised the
point about hitch pin placement as well I suppose... because if that
isnt a given you get further degrees of freedom I suppose ?

Two questions also come to mind from the discussion... Ron O mentioned a
spread sheet capable of figuring all this out. That of course
immediately caused my left temple to itch a bit...  Wouldnt that require
the length the center line of the bridge has to the front termination
and the overall length of the bridge itself ?  Along with maximum /
minimum sideways spacing possibilities I suppose I can see a dim tunnel
of light here.   Aslo.. how within how many mm does one expect to be
able to actually conform perfectly to a spec'd speaking length at
different parts of the scale ?

One other thing... I hear  of three row spacings of 16,  18 mm, 20 mm.
The only premade tool I've seen as a punch for this was from Jahn and
came at 15 mm. Where do you get these or are they something you just
make yourself ?

Cheers
RicB

         > Being far from the expert here... I just wanted to throw in a
        couple
         > bits.... first is your question leaves me a bit confused as
        to what you
         > are actually asking. If you change your front pin positions
        for reasons
         > like avoiding interference between neighboring bridge pin
        sets... how can
         > you avoid not altering the scale ? Speaking length changes
        yes... perhaps
         > this is not what you were saying... ?

    My intent is to correct the original scale to as close to my ideal
    scale as
    possible. I can accomplish this by altering the original bridge pin
    spacing
    to get the fudge room to change the speaking length. I am hopeful
    that there
    are no conflicts with front bridge pins as part of this layout work
    - I will
    not know about this until I put the plate back in and start looking
    at how
    everything fits the new cap. On the original bridge there was quite
    a bit of
    variation of speaking lengths and I can correct this from note 58 to
    88 by
    changing the original bridge pin spacing. So my priority will be
    speaking
    lengths and any variation will be due to conflict with neighboring
    bridge
    pins. Any notes lower than 58 will not conform to my ideal scale no
    matter
    how I alter bridge pin spacing.
    Gene