Interesting note on bushing cauls

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Thu Jan 3 22:04:11 MST 2008

>>Aha! The Bushmaster was being marketed on the East Coast in 1986-87 by Peter Grey - who claims to have invented it (he patented it).  It didn't get wider exposure until several years later, when Pianotek took over distribution. So that seals it - Bushmaster was first.Israel Stein
In the early 1980's I attended a piano tool "swap meet" at Sid Stone's shop in San Leandro, CA.  There I found part of a brass tool, about the size of my thumb.  It looked pretty much like the smaller, wooden one I had gotten in a box of tools from an old, retiring piano tech in 1979.  So I bought the brass one for 25cents, took it  home and cobbled up the rest of the parts from the local hardware store--miniature bushmaster.  Some time later I found one made out of aluminum, about two inches high and one inch wide.
Diane