odd baldwin piano

Kenneth Jankura kenrpt at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 4 08:56:51 MST 2008

I started tuning yesterday at a church with 5 or 6 pianos.

As I was talking to the music director, he kept referring to one of
the pianos as a "faux" piano. I was curious, and I looked at it very
briefly.

It's a black Baldwin grand, maybe 5' long or so.  I didn't get the
serial #. It had an "SA" on the plate near the bass bridge,

but I don't think that's any model designation.

It has no fallboard, and a fixed music desk, that is, it's screwed in
to the case with brass brackets on the side.

The legs are tapered and conical, and remind me of coffee tables from
the sixties.

It hasn't been tuned in a while, and didn't sound all that bad.

I told him Baldwin obviously saved some manufacturing cost on the
fallboard and the music desk,

and until I tune it and look at the action, I won't know if other
more important cost cutting steps were taken.

Does anyone know what this piano is? Any warnings or advice?

Ken Jankura RPT
Newville, PA