odd baldwin piano

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jan 4 11:24:40 MST 2008

Ken,

We have one just like you describe here at UNL.  Kind of an "art-decco"
style.  I beleive it is really a Baldwin and was probably made in the
'50's.  Not too bad of a piano for what it is...

Paul

Kenneth Jankura <kenrpt at earthlink.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/04/2008 10:12 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
odd baldwin piano

I started tuning yesterday at a church with 5 or 6 pianos.

As I was talking to the music director, he kept referring to one of
the pianos as a "faux" piano. I was curious, and I looked at it very
briefly.

It's a black Baldwin grand, maybe 5' long or so.  I didn't get the
serial #. It had an "SA" on the plate near the bass bridge,

but I don't think that's any model designation.

It has no fallboard, and a fixed music desk, that is, it's screwed in
to the case with brass brackets on the side.

The legs are tapered and conical, and remind me of coffee tables from
the sixties.

It hasn't been tuned in a while, and didn't sound all that bad.

I told him Baldwin obviously saved some manufacturing cost on the
fallboard and the music desk,

and until I tune it and look at the action, I won't know if other
more important cost cutting steps were taken.

Does anyone know what this piano is? Any warnings or advice?

Ken Jankura RPT
Newville, PA