Chapter project

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Jan 5 12:02:33 MST 2008

Hi Gerald,

A couple methods I've used (really two variations on the same theme):

The first was the Coleman Key Pin Polisher available from Coleman tools.  It is an aluminum sleeve that chucks into your drill, pack it with balance rail punchings, apply Flitz or some such to your pins, and run the polisher up and down the pins.  I've found it's a neat idea, but I have problems with the punchings getting pulled out of the tool.

Since then, I've started polishing by hand with hammer felt scraps obtained from Schaff.  Just cut off a little block that is maybe a little longer than you keypins, drill a hole that is smaller than your keypins into the felt, apply Flitz to the pins and run the felt up and down the pins.

When you're done with either method, shoeshine and/or wipe down the pins with a cotton rag, and spray with TFL-50 dry.

In the future, I might try just cutting a long block of felt from the hammer felt scrap that will fit very tightly into the Coleman tool.  I think a single solid piece of felt would work well in that tool and would definitely save on time and energy polishing.

Have fun!

William R. Monroe

SNIP
  One of my assignments is to demo. polishing key pins. I would like to show 2 or 3 different methods to accomplish this so I'm polling the list to get some suggestions.
  Thanks for the great material that I recieved on workshop setup.
  Gerald