workshop set-up

annie at allthingspiano.com annie at allthingspiano.com
Sat Jan 5 16:24:46 MST 2008

My new shop has a slab floor that currently tends to get moist at times.
Since I haven't been here an entire year yet, I'm not sure what the
pattern is (and I've already had some success with stopping it), but it
seems to just come and go.  I'm prepared ('though not excited <g>) to tile
around the entire shop, but I don't know whether that will take care of
it.

Thus far, I've insulated the walls and covered the ceiling trusses with
plastic.  Foam board will go up as soon as there's another pair of hands
handy.  Heat currently comes from a wood pellet stove, which I love but
which makes me nervous when it comes to working with various chemicals.

So, I'm toying with the idea of putting in hot water floor heating,
thinking that it will be more even and less dangerous AND keep the
moisture below the floor surface.  Has anyone put floor heat in a shop,
and how well did it work?  Is this idea worth pursuing?

Thanks, as always.

Annie Grieshop