Front lid extended during performance

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jan 7 16:06:54 MST 2008

No... it is not designed per se to be used in the closed position. On
the other hand if you are careful about positioning the thing as the
artist wants, the occasional artist who wants this is not going to cause
any damage by playing the instrument thus.

You just dont want to yank open the top with the lid down.... or flop
the thing around or any of that...

Cheers
RicB

My colleagues,

 This is what I need to know:

 As a registered member of the Piano Technicians Guild, what is my
official responsibility to advise the owner of a grand piano if I see
the front lid extended while the main lid is propped up?   What must I
say if they ask me whether the front lid IS or IS NOT designed to
tolerate that configuration?

 As the original poster of this question, I really appreciate your
I would like to hear the opinions of -piano manufacturers- or factory
reps as to whether the front lid was -designed- to be extended when the
main lid is propped up.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter