Loc-Tite Agraffes

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 12:52:07 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/9/2008 10:07:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hullfam5 at yahoo.com writes:

In trying to seat new agraffes that don't tighten in the proper position, has
anybody every tried loc-tite blue?  How would that compare to CA?
The agraffe could be turned to the correct position then simply "locked" down
with an adhesive of this nature that would still allow for future removal?

Ron addresses a better method, whch we also use. However, it got me thinking
about why they need seating at all. An agraffe turned in loosely (short of
seated) will, when strung, remain where it's put. I would expect the reason for
seating it is to provide a solid termination, important just like the
termination at the bridge pin. While it's true that a loose agraffe, especially a new,
sloppily machined one, will rattle around; with even fifteen degrees of draft
angle there is about 40-50 pounds of upward force holding the agraffe threads
against the plate threads. Physicists, is there really any likelihood of
agraffe movement, given the forces induced in the string by the hammer?

Always fun to rethink something that "everyone knows."

Bob D