Broadwood And Sons questions

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Jan 9 23:42:19 MST 2008

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that on a piano like this, at about a
fourth below pitch, that the tuning pins are far too loose to even
contemplate a pitch raise.  CA may or may not help - these old pin
blocks can be really iffy by the time the piano has reached 100+ years.
  Damping usually can be improved a bit by adjusting the lift wires.
Just as with any upright, the dampers should not be lifting before the
hammer is half way to the string.  As mentioned, most overdampers use
end grain damper felt.  If you are a glutton for punishment and want to
replace the dampers, I can supply that felt to you - I have it here.

It may have a nice looking case and there is an outside chance you may
be able to tune it, a bit, and get it to play somehow.  But it may be
getting close to ethical boundaries to agree to do more work than that,
unless it is a piece with some historical or familial significance.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com