Pianos in the Deep Freeze

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Wed Jan 9 21:03:51 MST 2008

Hi, I work in Canadian churches where the heat is turned down in between
services not off.  I think everything said is true.  The churches I work in
usually have an office that is heated.  Maybe you are lucky and the office
is near enough the church and the secretary could share the office with the
piano.

I'm afraid a climate control dampp-chaser system alone in freezing weather
would not be enough to keep the piano from harm of the elements even if it
were in a storage closet or box. (It would need a source of heat and
probably air conditioning pumped into it).  If they can't push the piano
from a heated, climate controlled area I would recommend a keyboard. Or heck
use the old upright until it has its other foot in the grave?

Jessica Masse

RPT Piano Technicians Guild

Proprietor, Ebony and Ivory Piano Company