Broadwood and sons questions

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Jan 10 14:44:46 MST 2008

"And just to clarify - I am not a birdcage-basher. In fact, I may have the
opportunity to purchase one myself very soon. A top of the line Blüthner
overdamper. Now THOSE were pianos!"

Oh yes!  I've tuned a few of those!  They were *something*!  Huge and
magnificent.

With regard to your question about Papps wedges, Phil, you should get some!
They're just quick and easy, especially for birdcage actions. There has been
discussion on the list before about tuning with strip mute and single
strings, versus unisons as you go, so I won't rehash it here. But if you
tune a lot of birdcages, as I do, I think the Papps wedge is a necessity.

You'll have to use your inititave and experience regarding the overall state
of the instrument. Broadwood were always a quality make however, and if the
pinblock seems ok, and the lady really wants it, why not go for it,
*clearly* explaining the limitations beforehand - that it won't end up
sounding like a new Bosendorfer upright.

There have been some really quite old birdcage "cottage" pianos in my area
that have actually been curiously satisfying to play in the end - and
others, of course, that really should long ago have been scrapped.

Let us know how you get on!

Best regards,

David.