Steinway D specs

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 17:45:23 MST 2008

HI Terry
  I have 20's D & 70's D in the shop.  I can fit  the 20's action into the
70's but not vice verse.  The drop screws  hit/slam into the stretcher.  I've
seen string heights vary enough  that one would not be able to do a quality
hammer job by guessing.  Usually  note 88 string height  is about 193 mm off the
keybed with the middle of  the piano a bit higher at 194  to 195mm. Steinway
S,m,l's,O's  & A's etc seem to be between 188 & 190 at note 88 and a bit higher
 in the middle. Standard bor is 2 1/8 th in the bass & 1 13/16 this tenor
treble/  B C D are average about 3 to 4 mm higher....bbbuuut... there are
always exceptions so proceed at your own risk.
  Dale

Hmm,  that's surprising. The stringing scales are the same as are hammer
specs, at  least according to mapes and W.Brooks. The latter just would like a few
 original hammer heads weighed. They already have bore, pitch, size and all
that.

Terry Peterson