boes numbers

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Jan 11 04:14:04 MST 2008

Isaac Sadigursky wrote:
> Hi,Bob!
>
> As far as I remember from Steinway classes,Letters and numbers on the
> right side of Steinway plates indicate CODE of finish being used
> [shellac,Varnish,] etc.  Maybe,Eric Shandal can clarify it or correct
> me…..Case numbers are usually written with pencils by factory people on
> cheeck blocks,key slip rails,legs…..…Hope,it helps… isaac

I had been told that they were factory tracing numbers, prior to
assigning the serial numbers. The letter was the year code (A-L) and the
number was the in-house number for that year.

One of these days, I've promised myself that I would go through my
records and see if there really _IS_ a correlation betwixt letter and
year. Anybody got a spare tuit?

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076