Loc-Tite Agraffes

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 07:27:01 MST 2008

Old agraffes had flat bottoms and you were required to use shims to get them
to fit properly.  With the beveled contour of the bottom currently in
production you don't need to do that.  The brass is soft enough and there's
little enough of it where the agraffe first contacts the plate that you can
easily turn the agraffe past where it bottoms out to get the alignment you
need.  The softer brass at the edge of the bevel will simply splay out as
you tighten it down.  Work it back and forth if you have to go farther than
a quarter turn so has not to put to much stress on the shank.  I don't see
any reason to search through each agraffe turning them in and out to find
the perfect fit, and you don't need to use shims.  The fitting shims that
one once used were thin enough to have no significant impact on downbearing.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

At the factory, we always used shims. Wont change the downbearing enough to
make a difference.

Mr. G
Allied PianoCraft