Broadwood and sons questions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 16:29:30 MST 2008

At 22:30 +0000 11/1/08, David Boyce wrote:

>>You are clearly in the UK.  Have you come across the small over-
>>damper 'cottage' uprights by Bord, made by Pleyel.  There are lots
>>of them around UK, and tonally and mechanically they are far
>>superior to their Broadwood equivalents.
>
>Hi Ric, yes I'm in the UK, in the West of Scotland.  I don't recall
>coming across a Bord though. Interesting about their mechanical
>superiority.

Nothing very special about a Bord tonally, and as to the action it's
just a neat little Paris Herrburger-Schwander the same a Broadwoods
used except that Bords always have over-dampers.  I've had a few
through my hands and they're just a plain simple commercial baby
upright, well enough made and very durable but certainly not a great
piano.  Give me a baby green-back Broadwood any day.

JD