custom hammers

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Fri Jan 11 17:01:40 MST 2008

A tuner that used to work for me in Portland, Oregon brought it in one evening.
I was having dinner when he came to the door saying something like, "Del, you
have to come down and look at this. You won't believe it if I just tell you
about it." He was right.

The action had been "rebuilt" someplace near Pittsburgh, PA. Only the hammers
through the center half (or so) had been replaced because "since few people play
those notes out at the ends the supply companies don't make them anymore." The
black stuff didn't go on until sometime after the hammers -- that was how they
were "voiced." I never did figure out what it was. Glassy hard, though. I was
especially intrigued by the hammershank repair. Nice glue, that. I ended up
installing a whole new action.

None of this did my dinner much good.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich