String termination question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 05:40:26 MST 2008

> I don't think the primary purpose of a bridge pin is to prevent the
> string from sliding around on top of the bridge.

The pins serve two functions. They are the string termination,
and they clamp the string to the bridge.

>Like a guitar or
> other stringed instrument that possibility is minimal.

Actually, it's pretty likely. I've run into a number of
instances of mislocated bridge pins where the string made
considerable noise on the bridge top.

> What I'm referring to is the need to make sure that the edge of
> the notch on the bridge exactly matches the side of the bridge pin so
> that the string termination at the bridge is the same in both the X and
> Y axis.

There is no such need. The notch edge needs to not be beyond
the pin, as it'll make unwanted noise. It can be deeper, and
behind the bridge, without penalty if the pin is solidly
bedded at the top of the cap and not flagpoling.

>If it were not the same then the string is literally a different
> length on one axis than it is in the other. Since a string moves in all
> directions when vibrating, not just up and down, if that termination is
> not exact then the partials created in one axis are different than in
> the other, creating beats.

It's not the vertical component of string excursion that's the
problem, it's the horizontal. Strings don't typically slide up
and down pins during play, but a pin that's loose at the top
and flagpoling will cause the beat.

This isn't a factor at the capo, because the capo doesn't
spring with vertical string excursion like the bridge pin does
(if it's not tight) with the horizontal.

Again, this has all been described in vast detail for years in
the archives.

Ron N