Accepting credit cards

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 17:24:30 MST 2008

Hi, Greg:
	I've used Quickbooks for years, and they have a system for accepting
credit cards in the software.  You don't need a terminal, credit card
slips, or anything.  You don't need to be at home, but through any internet
connected computer you can go to their "Virtual Terminal" where you can
enter the customer's information.  Then, when you're home, you can download
the purchase transaction into Quickbooks.  A few days later, you can check
and see if the transaction went through.  You don't need a signature, or
have the customer present.  You only need the proper numbers and info for
the customer.  There is an optional swiping device that installs on the
computer.  You get a lower percentage taken out if you use one because the
information is less likely to be incorrectly entered.  I think it cost me
about $90. for the device.  The Quickbooks card service costs me about $15.
a month, and some small percentage from each transaction.  It hasn't really
been useful that much, but it helps if someone wants a piano bench, lamp,
cover, or whatever.  Some people like the skymiles, so they like to use a
card.  It adds credibility to your business, like a Yellow Page ad.  Paypal
is another way to go, and I'm sure there are other ways too.  You have to
decide if it might work for you.
	FWIW.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego, CA