CAD software

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 13:02:11 MST 2008

At 00:31 -0500 15/1/08, <pianoguru at cox.net> wrote:

>---- "StŽphane Collin" <collin.s at skynet.be> wrote:
>
>>  Frank, did you try this one ?  What do you think about ?  How does
>>it compare with SolidWorks ?
>
>Sorry, I am not familiar with Alibre.  If you didn't pay more than
>$4,000 USD, it's not "professional level" CAD software.Ê
>
>Responding to an earlier post that CAD is a waste of money, you
>display only your own ignorance of it.  It is no longer "Computer
>Assisted Design."  It is 3-D modeling, and it is the key to future
>development of the art of piano building. IMHO.

That doesn't sound much like a humble opinion to me, Frank; it sounds
like the ravings of someone who has bought an expensive ans
completely redundant new toy, or had it bought for him, and wants
everyone to agree that without such a toy it has been impossible for
the past 150 years for anyone to design, build, market and sell good
pianos.

Well let me express the humble opinion that the finest pianos I have
seen were designed by one man without the aid even of a pocket
calculator in probably one tenth of the time it takes an office full
of quarter-trained draughtsman sitting in front of a lousy computer
screen trying to get a jumpy mouse to behave as well as a pencil, to
produce a mediocre regurgitation of the same old crap year after year
without a scrap of true originality or advance. "the key to future
development of the art of piano building", my foot!

JD