Soundboard installation with hide glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Jan 15 16:30:22 MST 2008

Hi list.

I'm about to install my second new soundboard into my 23rd piano.  The first
one I glued with fish glue.  This one, I want to try with hide glue, as I
read somewhere that only this glue will and fill the small gaps efficiently,
and dry very hard, favoring minimal energy loss at the joint.
Do you think at some cave at's, or do you have special advice for this
situation ?  I already understood that I need one or two helpers in order to
spread the glue very quickly.
I'm just asking now, because Friday it will be too late.
A fellow restorer did tell me to bore the holes in the soundboard at the
place for the plate bolts in two times, starting the hole from below, and
finishing from above, in order to avoid those nasty wood splits when the
bore come out.  I know this can sound pretty obvious for some, but I have to
admit that I wouldn't have thought of it, and would have had to do the first
bad experience before upgrading my process.
I'm now in the mood of upgrading my process before doing some more bad
experience.  You all know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Peace to all.

Stéphane Collin.