glue for hammers

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Tue Jan 15 21:33:05 MST 2008

There is a lot of talk about glue that will 'fill the gap"  Is this
really a good thing?  Should hammers be fitted to shanks in such a way
that there are gaps that need filling?

What ever happened to properly fitting hammers to shanks rolled through
a good quality knurler?  This compresses the wood and as soon as water
touches the shank, it expands to a tight fit in the hammer by itself.
Of course the glue does the main job of holding the two pieces, but the
better they fit in the first place, the better the joint will be.

Jurgen Goering