ptg member Year in good standing?

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 16 06:18:42 MST 2008

As you all re-ponder these things, I might suggest you consider the import of these things to anyone but you (technicians collectively).  No one will look for a date on your card/certificate/whatever.  You are an RPT, congratulations, really.  But I guess to me it's not about the certification and all the vagaries therein; it is about the code of ethics and about being the best technician I can be.  That includes a great deal of continuing education.

Unfortunately, becoming an RPT or member doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether a technician decides to follow the code of ethics.  I've seen some glaring examples.  You either have it or you don't and membership will not change ones own moral/professional code.  If you decided not to pay your dues and continue using your (undated) certificate then I suppose the code is fairly meaningless anyway, yes?  That doesn't strike me as a positive thinking approach toward the organization, tongue-in-cheek or not.

In truth, I'll admit that it doesn't sound like a very proactive move on the part of the certificate makers, but I'll sure "it seemed like a good idea at the time,"  or, it was simply an oversight.  If it really troubles you, consider calling and investigating.  And remember, "the PTG" is you.

William R. Monroe

  Bravo, Jessica! Every year I re-ponder (?) the dues. This doesn't move me in the right direction.

  Paul

  Hi everyone,

  SNIP

  Then my renewal certificate with the newer PTG logo came.  What am I to do with one more certificate?  I couldn’t find in my package the 2008 gold sticker to go on the older certificate.  Then I noticed that there is no date or year on the new RPT Certificate.   I don’t know about you, but what good is a certificate of membership without a year of distribution.   Will I be a member forever now I could use this thing forever even if I don’t continue to pay my dues.

  Really, I take a lot more pride than this in being a member.

  SNIP

  This new certificate I think is a kick in the pants to everyone who pays their dues.  Do you think we could get a “Member in good standing 2008” gold sticker to put in between the newer logo and the signature?

  SNIP

  Could we maybe get our old membership cards that need signing back? I ponder the code of ethics while I sign away (mostly thinking how some non members would have to change there ways to sign one).

  Jessica Masse
  RPT Piano Technicians Guild