Soundboard installation with hide glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed Jan 16 08:48:59 MST 2008

Thanks to all for comments so far.

Dale, in case I go for cold hide glue (reversible and very hard, if I got
that right), what procedure do you recommend ?  Must the wood be warm too ?
Should I warm the glue too ?  Is the room temperature critical too ?  It
seems that I can get the Titebond liquid hide glue here.  On their site they
say no need to warm anything, but the articles of Nick Gravagne recommend to
do so.

I’m a bit concerned with the board warming : I put it in a small room at
35°Celsius and reach 20 % relative humidity.  After one day and one night,
the board is completely flat, and the “dead” corner (beyond the dumb bar)
begins to show reverse crown.  Does this sound normal ?  Is there no risk to
overdo the board warming ?  I initially intended to leave it dry for 3 days,
and I can reach 17% relative humidity if I want, but I’m a bit afraid to do
more wrong than good.

Thanks again for taking time for new board newbies.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.