glue for hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 16 11:12:00 MST 2008

This is my experience as well.  Actually I'd rephrase the statement to
just read "if the shanks are appropriately knurled, there is no
problem...."  Again... most of the glues used are not meant to be used
as fillers. Nearly every hammer I've seen come loose through the years
were detectably loose fitting. Seems to me like the "filler" is what
breaks... not the glue adhesion to the wood parts.

You dont need a lot of glue to do a lot of good... any more then you do
when you glue two flat pieces together and clamp them.

Cheers
RicB

    If a good knurler is used and the shanks are properly knurled,  there
    is no problem in dry fitting them in such a way that they can be
    aligned fore and aft etc.  Then the expansion of the shank makes a
    tight fit to the hammer bore hole, as you say.

    The problem is that few people own a good knurler, and that they are
    not available through the big box suppliers.

    Jurgen Goering