Soundboard installation with hide glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed Jan 16 17:20:07 MST 2008

Oh my god, what have I done !

I hope my board gets back to normal.  I stopped the drying.

The fun is  that with my equipment, I was sure I would never get it dry enough.

Again, not so.

The fact is that sometimes the humidity in my room gets as low as 28 % in the worse winter days (while climbing up to 60% in the wettest summer).  I thought that 20 %  was just right to eliminate any risk of crack in the winter.

I will ask Ciresa (who built the board) all the data about it.

 Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

the board is completely flat, and the “dead” corner (beyond the dumb bar) begins to show reverse crown.

Stephane ....my friend...This is roughly 3.6 ish E.M.C   This is extremely dry & cell damage will occur quickly in a humid climate.  Ask me how I know?

  What is your e.m.c. at the time the ribs are pressed.  Are the ribs crowned.  All this is relevant to your questions. It sounds like the board was compression crowned

  It's Probably too dry if its' reverse crowning.  You need a  simple temp. & humidity gauge inside  your box to track where the board is at with it's E.M.C. content ( equilibrium moisture  Content).

  In conjunction with a simple chart that correlates the temp/humidity to the emc gives you a close idea where the moisture content is at any time. Really important!!!!!!!