Soundboard installation with hide glue

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 17 04:35:05 MST 2008

Grin... I hear so many theories about how this that and the other thing
is --- has to be --- it makes my head spin. Clearly one doesn't need to
do a perfect fit or even have a glue joint that doesn't allow any
horizontal creep of the sounboard in order to make good sound. To many
folks have made fine sounding pianos approaching the task from other
perspectives.  That said... no one has even remotely come close to
showing that doing a perfect fit job... doesn't have some beneficial
(that is to say "usable" ) affect acoustically.  To what degree the
soundboard can be said to (or not to)  function similar to an
"engineering arch" is as far as I can see a question that has not been
answered... in as much as "experts" from just about every corner of the
world voice obvious disagreement on the issue. Even amongst bonified
engineers. I know I sure as hell dont <<Know>> the answer to such
questions. But I do know I've yet to see anything close to conclusive
argumentation one way or the other.  And yes... I have read the recent
article on the subject in the journal.

Cheers RicB

    I think the "perfect fit" theory is a product of the (the soundboard
    is an)
    "arched structure" theory. If the ribs on the soundboard function
    like an
    engineering arch, then you might have some reasoning to go for that
    "perfect
    fit". Although, even then, if your panel/rim glue joint is good, you
    still
    wouldn't need a perfect fit. But the soundboard is not an
    engineering arch,
    so the perfect fit won't do anything for you.

    Terry Farrell