Soundboard drydown for installation, was installation with hide glue

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 17 13:16:22 MST 2008

Hi Mike.

Me too.  I suspect some of it will have to do with the idea that the
tight fitting rim will have some form of support for crown and that if
you have a reasonably tight fit with a dried assembly it will expand
into the rim... which of course will resist.

I know Hamburg puts their assemblies into a hot box just before
installing into the rim and attaching the bridge.  Tho they do not dry
out their panels prior to ribbing to more then around 5.5% EMC.  What I
was told was that the ambient RH they held in the soundboard room and
much of the factory was all the drying they subjected their panels to
prior to ribbing. They used crowned ribs but the assembly crowns further
when they taper the rib ends... so I suppose this means they are using
curved cauls as well.

It has always struck me tho that once the ribs are on... the outer
perimeter of the assembly is more or less fixed.  If both sides of the
assembly expand upon taking on humidity... then at least some of the top
part of the ribs would have to also expand... as in some degree of
horizontal straight line tensioning of the ribs in addition to the
tension the top half of the ribs take on as part of bending.  My
understanding is that the ribs tension strength exceeds the compression
strength of the panel to do this... but I could be wrong.  It certainly
is strong enough to bend them and introduce at least the tension that
accompanies that.

Cheers
RicB

        Richard, I'm glad you asked that.  I too wonder why.  Once the
        ribs are
        on, I can't rationalize a benefit to taking the board outside of
        the
        normal range of (controlled) workshop humidity for installation
        in the
        piano.  Not that I would be surprised to learn of several good
        reasons
        for doing so.  I hope you get some interesting answers.

        Mike