Ignorance on Parade ... (mine)

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:04:29 MST 2008

Customer has a 1903 S&S AIII.

I noticed, today, that the plate has the words "Patented Duplex Scale" molded into it. The tenor and treble strings DO cross a continuous (non adjustable/tunable) aliquot plate in the back but the the front duplex sections are not exceptional and have felt underlayment, capo d'astro w/no agraffs, and the back duplex lengths of the strings are very short, maybe three inches on the low tenor notes. Any overtone resonating from front or rear duplex portions of these strings would have to be very high pitched and have a half-life of about .237 nanoseconds, it would seem to me.

How does this constitute duplex "scaling"? How would this be any different than a Winter & Sons (erk...) spinet, as far as backscale tone influence?

Do this words mean anything or are they similar to the famous "thermonuclear mezzanine" soundboard hype.

Mind you, I'd rather have the Steinway if that's my choice ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO