"Digital" pianos :was No subject

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jan 18 03:14:53 MST 2008

Hi Lorenzo

There are no doubt many who feel like you do. I am afraid tho things are
going to get far worse... if worse is the proper term.  Human kind is
entering a new age no doubt about it. So far our jaunts into the world
of digitizing have been limited to the data being processed.  The
interface itself has been left more or less analog in nature. But that
too will pass. The virtual world depicted in so many sci-fi films is not
as far off as we think.  Anybody pick up on an article in Scientific
American just a few months back on the latest progress made in decoding
the human brains <<machine code>> ?  Scary .... at least from my
perspective.  But thats where we are headed

As for what to call them.  Its a lost fight already Lorenzo.  Perhaps
you also remember about the dawn of Margarine ?  At first farmers across
the world fought hard and successfully to keep this product
"justifiably" distanced from real butter.  Producers could not even add
color to make it look like butter.  Then they got to add coloring
packets so the buyer could mix in the color themselves.... and after a
while... well who remembers off hand which of the two is high in
unsaturated fats eh ??

Cheers
RicB

    A simple question: am I the only one who is deeply offended by the
    terminology "digital piano".

    I dare suggest that I am not the only Guild member (associate in my
    case) that finds it appalling that certain well known manufacturers
    of acoustical instruments have described their offerings of
    electronic devices that mimic acoustical instruments as pianos.

    Let it be known, as obvious as it is, that these are NOT pianos. The
    very companies whose acoustical  instruments  we regularly service
    are, simply, helping to put us out of business.

     LORENZO LACOVARA