"Digital" pianos :was No subject

PianoService Peter Joris pianoservice.peter.joris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:12:51 MST 2008

Hi Lorenzo,

you are not the only one getting a sad feeling thinking of the progress a
digital piano makes both in business and quality. A lot of people these days
look at the price tag when choosing a piano for the daughter who starts
piano lessons. they get a few options:

1. Pay a horrible amount of money for a new quality piano
2. Pay an more or less affordable price for a secondhand quality piano.
3. Get a shiny new Chinese or the sort of piano cheap
3. Pay the same as for the Chinese piano, get it also new, shiny and it even
sounds so much better than that acoustic piano. and guess what no tunings or
maintenance. and when the daughter is not that talented in the beginning you
get the cheap headphones for free with the piano.....

I see it happen so often that it is scary.

People go for the price and want it to sound good as well and all those
famous artists on TV..... they play also a digital Yamaha or Roland....
The saddest thing is that eventually after a few years they need to buy a
quality instrument after all to keep up with the lessons, and then they
notice that their precious instrument is about worth nothing....

The biggest problem is that you can make a nice piano out of "some" Chinese
brands with the right amount of attention and time. but store owners to
often like to go for the fast money ;-(, because it will bring the
prices closer to a second hand U1 or U3 and then they won't sell anymore.

But you have to say the Chinese are very consistent in the work they
deliver. At the moment i am staying in a hotel in Beijing with a nice Yamaha
C3, the tuner here manages to make it sound like a Hsinghai upright about
100 cm tall. but this is probably for an other topic.....

Keep the faith and don't loose the enjoyment in this nice craft of ours.
Think of all those nice customers with quality instruments that are an
enjoyment to work on.

Kind regards,
Peter

--